As you looked through our packages you wondered would I need 2, 5 or 10 (or may be more) pages? While we will address this during the initial consultation it may help to understand what exactly is a page. While there is no written rule on what constitutes a page, typically a page relates to one or two topics, items, services, products, etc.. All websites we design and build have a two main pages standard; A Home Page and a Contact Page.
- The Home Page is the first page visitors or customers will see when they come to your site. Introduce yourself (your business or organization). Who you are? What you do? What products and/or services do you offer? Again, this is an introduction, keep it simple.
- The Contact Page is where visitors can go to find out how to contact you (note: if you are business you should have your address and phone number on the home page as well) either in person, over the phone or postal mail. Also, we provide a customized contact form that visitors can fill-out online if they have questions or want more information. Once they complete this form, it is sent directly to your email. We do not recommend posting your email address on your site as this may cause you to receive unwanted junk email.
So why would I need more pages? As we mentioned earlier, the Home Page is an introduction to your business or organization. The idea is to keep things simple, too much information on one page may confuse visitors/customers and cause them to leave your site. Here are some ideas as to what you can do with the other pages:
- Describe in greater detail a product or service. Typically it is best to dedicate a page for each product or service. However, products or services with a common theme may be grouped on the same page. Balance is the key here and as you tell us what you are wanting to do, we will have a better idea as to what you need.
- Testimonials. People like to know they are making a good choice purchasing your product or service. Posted feedback/testimonials from other consumers is cheap and effective advertising.
- Samples. If you make custom items (jewelry, pot holders, furniture, etc.) or offer a specialty service, you will want a page to show off your work. Give your customers a better idea of what you offer.
- Sponsors. Provide a page where your sponsors can have their logo with a link back to their site.
- Schedule/Calendar. Are you a performer, run a sports league or travel a lot to promote your product or service? You will want a page to let people know where you are going to be and when.
- Price list or inventory. Have a page which shows the prices for your services or if you are selling individual products (houses, cars, used bikes, etc).
Still not sure? Here are some general ideas for users of each package:
- 2-Page. Political or other organizations who need to get their message out and need a way for people to contact them with questions or offer support.
- 5-Page. Small businesses with a couple products or services. Taxi/Limo Service, have pages with your pricing, your fleet, special services you may offer. Real Estate Agent, a bio page about you or your partners, a listings page, a page with links to real estate resources/guides. Also ideal for sports leagues, have pages with the team schedule, photos, sponsors, etc.
- 10-Page. Small to medium business with more products or services. Skateboard or Bike Shop. Have pages for your boards and bikes, others for parts, accessories, apparel, etc. If you are selling custom or specialty items have a price list. Specialty shops such as custom motorcycles, jewelry, furniture, etc. where there may be only a handful of products, but given the amount of information and details, each product should be on its own page. Also can have a photo gallery of your work, testimonials from your customers and may be a price sheet for your services and products.
Again, you don’t need to know right-away how many pages you are going to need. But, we hope the ideas above will get you thinking about what you want to do with your website. It can be very helpful to make notes on what you are wanting to do and how you want this presented. This will help us, help you figure out what is going to work best for you. If you think you will need more than 10-pages we can do that as well, just let us know.